Tuesday, August 21, 2007

FAQ: Resume Writing

Q: My resume is more than a page, should I leave out some of my past jobs in order to get my resume down to the recommended 1-page?

A: I would not recommend leaving out any position that would show potential employer your accomplishments and qualifications. In my experience of being a hiring manager, only those who are just returning to the workforce or a recent high school/college graduate submit a 1 page resume. If you have been gainfully employed for at least 10 years, it is not uncommon for your resume to be more than on page long.

Q: My objective is too long. What should I do about that?

A: Objectives on a resume take up space and detract from your resume. When a potential employer is glancing through hundreds of resumes, the last thing that they want to see is a paragraph of stifled text when are they really want to know about are your credentials.

Q: There are several “gaps” in my employment history. Should I say that I was employed during those times, even though I was not?

A: You should never mislead a potential employer about your qualifications and background. It could find a way to bite you in the end. Just because you were not employed, doesn’t mean that you were not using skills that a potential employer may be looking for. I would suggest consulting with a skills development officer or a resume writing service.

No comments: